Friday, January 16, 2009

Back to my roots...

Almost heaven, west virginia Blue ridge mountains, shenandoah river Life is old there, older than the trees Younger than the mountains, blowing like a breeze Country roads, take me home To the place, I be-long West virginia, mountain momma Take me home, country roads

I grew up in West Virgina. There are several things I love about my home state. One of which is the natural beauty it holds. I have lived in a few places and I have to say, West Virginia is gorgeous. There are breathtaking views, flowing rivers and forests surrounding you in every direction. Another thing I love about West Virginia is its history. I love that as the Civil War was forming the people in the western part of Virginia differed greatly with the eastern on the issues surrounding what led to the Civil War. So, we became our own state, and took the political stance of being against slavery. I love the brick roads and old homes. The house I grew up in was old, and I mean OLD. Not as old as they come there, I mean it was only around 100 years old. It had the neatest hidden room behind the closet my dad kept his guns in. It was used to store whiskey during the Prohibition. We just danced in the darkness and cobwebs while my dad had the guns out and cleaning them. Another thing I love is the humble people there. Most of them have nothing and have never known what it is like to have money. It is a coal mining state, what could be more humble then working in the earth for barely anything? I asked my mom once why so many people are over weight that live in WV. She told me it is because they learned to fry everything in lard, she said it made them full faster and was cheaper. Sad, true, but also humbling. The last thing I love about WV is its news. I remember going home a few years ago and turning on the t.v. to watch the news. This was the evening report:
"Breaking news: The Mountaineer Restarant has made less money than McDonalds in the last year!" And I'm thinking, WHAT! The Mountaineer has some of the worst food out there, but it's open 24 hours, and you can't beat that! Then I realize that noone was shot that day, or mugged. There wasn't even a car accident to report on. It is along these lines that I have something to share. My father lives in a county called Calhoun. They do have cities in WV but many of them are too small so they just say they live in such-and-such county. This county has a news publication they post online. Every so often I go online and check it out for fun. Here's the link...
http://www.hurherald.com/


What I love about the cite:
-the Obits are at the top of the list
-The paper admits that it's a questionable publication
- There's hardly ever negative news on the cite
-It's FUNNY!

Check out the opinions and comments section...

http://www.hurherald.com/cgi-bin/db_scripts/articles?Action=user_view_cat&db=articles_hurherald&cat=26

5 comments:

McCrazys said...

This is beautiful, Becca! Makes me wanna go for a road trip. (to Glendale or WV, either or.)

MarySue said...

You've sold me on your beautiful West Virginia. I'm also a huge John Denver fan!

2MyGirls said...

I am totally ready for Morgan to go to Kindergarten and so is she. We should find out next month what we are having. We will keep everyone posted.

Avery said...

I miss WV!! I don't think I'd want to live there again but I do miss it :) It is a beautiful state.

Avery said...

By the way it's so true about the news. We laugh everytime we go home and listen to WTAP. They never have anything going on and when they announce the top story I'm always like are they for real??? James and I always get a kick out of it!!