Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Conversations with James

When Samuel was born Lizzy couldn't wait to meet him. She bounded up to him in the hospital and pronounced, "Sam! I am not a mountain, I'm your sister. A mountain is big and grey and sometimes purple when the sun is setting."

Lizzy has decided to preempt any concerns over what James will and will not know by teaching him prenatally. She has taken to following me around with both her hands on my stomach saying things like, "James, your name is James, a name is what you call someone, my hands are on mommy's stomach. A stomach is in the middle of your body and processes your food. Food is what you eat, you put it in your mouth which is on your face, which is at the top of your body and has lips attached which are red and then there's teeth, they are white and chomp on your food..." And so you get the idea. I have explained kindly that he doesn't really understand her words but likes hearing her voice. So she continues, "James, I'm going to take a shower. A shower is where water comes down and gets you all wet. Water is clear and can be cold or hot and feels really neat on your skin. A shower head is what the water comes out of, ours is silver and black."
She adores him already, and as a mother I love watching this love grow. Nothing warms my heart more than listening to the things she is "teaching" him." We got several new ultrasounds a few weeks ago when I had a follow-up appointment. He is so darling already, I have been sewing a lot and have put his "pictures" up in my sewing room where I can look at him often. Here's a few for you to see too. Lizzy may think he will come out knowing all his colors, I'm just happy that he will be born knowing his sisters voice.





7 comments:

MARY IN SCOTLAND said...

JAMES! Your so cute!!!! I can't wait to meet you!

Lizzy is THE BEST big sister ever!

McCrazys said...

Aww this melted my heart!

Grapefruit said...

Lizzy just blows me away Becca. Her brain is always going, thinking, and blowing me away with her smartness! Are you kidding me with all her explanations of everything? What child thinks like that? She's incredible. And James will be born with the highest IQ possible because his sister talked non-stop to him in the womb. He's a lucky kid to have such a caring big sister.

We miss you guys. Tried to call you to get the latest on your life, but no one answered. Thanks for feeding Matt every week. He's spoiled to have such nice friends!

Lynsi said...

Love the name James! One of my favorites... and Lizzy is mind blowing, I've never seen anything like it! She is going to do amazing things! I'm so excited for your family! such sweet pictures!

Lynsi said...

Hey we are going to the library today at 2:00 if you guys are up for meeting us. My girls would love to have Lizzy come over and play next week too, I need your phone number again.

Rachel said...

This brought tears to my eyes. I am so impressed with the love that Lizzy's showing. Such a sweet big sister! Thanks for making my day with this post! :)

neffie said...

Lizzy is just amazing!! You have a good girl there.