Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Holiday Traditions

At Christmas time we all have our favorite family traditions. I must admit many of my families revolve around food. However, one of my favorite is our homemade Christmas tree decoration tradition. It started when we were poor students (what other type of students are there?) We never had any money to buy ornaments for our tree so we made them all. Every year we make gingerbread cookies and we string popcorn. We also make a new homemade set of ornaments to add to the tree every year.
Here are just a few from this year...



THE RECIPE:
3 c. flour
1 c. salt
1 c. water

Mix well and knead till smooth. Then shape however you desire. Bake for 2 hours at 275 degrees. Let cool then paint. When paint is dry brush mod podge on front and back of ornaments.

9 comments:

Grapefruit said...

What is Mod Podge? I've always wondered. Sounds British. "Did you see Molly wearing her Mod Podges? By golly, I did. I dare say, they weren't quite up to snuff, were they?" Anyway, cute ornaments! I remember your tree from last year and I remember Mitchell trying to eat all your ornaments!

McCrazys said...

Ummm... these are incredibly adorable. I'm gonna try to make them with my kids. Thanks!

MarySue said...

Very cute and I adore traditions. I also made all our first decorations but I didn't learn about Mod Podge until late in life.

Becca said...

Thanks Becca! This will be our first year to actually have a "regular tree" because the past 5 Christmases it's been a 3 ft little one. And we definitely don't have $ for ornaments, so we will be doing the homemade/popcorn/etc. Thanks for the inspiration.

2MyGirls said...

Those are awesome. We will have to try to make some this year. Oh, and you are not crazy for getting up to run. Not running at all makes me crazy.

MARY IN SCOTLAND said...

we are going to do this!
we are poor and are going to do all homemade stuff on our tree!
thanks for the idea!
those are super cute!!

Nicole said...

Your ornaments are so cute!! And I love the new picture at the top of your blog of your kids, it is adorable!

Lynsi said...

So fun checking out your blog! I lOve your ornaments! I'm sure you had much more fun making them than you would have buying them.
Hope you guys have a great thanksgiving!
Oh I also LoVe Lizzy's question about what is at the center of the earth... so Lizzy!

Lynsi said...

Hey I just noticed your "Training schedule".. you must be doing the Ragner Relay! Keith and I did the one in Seattle last year. It was so much fun!... Since having Ben I'm still trying to get back into running regularly. one day.
We'll have to chat about the az ragner next time I see ya. L