Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Of Kindergarten and Turning 30

Well, August 2008 is a memorable month. Lizzy started kindergarten a week and half ago and I am turning 30 on Sunday. Both of these milestones are pretty big in my book. I always thought that getting older didn't really matter. Well it first hit about a month ago when Liz and I were playing charades and I tried to be a frog and well, I can't really leap that well now. It all JIGGLES! And, I run everyday I am in at least decent shape. I sat on the couch and cried while my usually sweet husband called me an old lady. Being logical I know that getting older in inevitable so what does it matter? Well, it's facing the inevitability of things hanging where they use to not and seeing wrinkles on what use to be a youthful face. I guess that's the point. My mom is sending me 30 birthday cards for my 30 years of life. My favorite one says this, "You're 30, you're mature! You're responsible! And to teenagers everywhere, you're OLD!" I have no desire to be younger, I love the experiences I have earned and lived, so I guess with the knowledge and wisdom of getting older also comes the lines of wisdom on your face and saggy boobs from nursing 2 children. Well, I will gladly take the physical ramifications of getting older if it means being wiser and happier.
Now, I also didn't think it would be hard for me to send Lizzy to kindergarten, and I was right, it was EXTREMELY easy. She LOVES it and is excited for all day to start, it is only half day right now. Her teacher has been doing gifted testing on her and told me the other day that she reads at a 3rd grade level. She said they are moving her to 1st grade for her reading lessons. She comes home singing songs about the days of the week, about eating and other funny things. I think her teacher must sing all day long, which must be fun for the kids. Well, I am happy about her being in school. She is so very social (who does that remind you of) and school is just right for her. We think she has a "crush" on a boy named Zach, she is always saying how funny he is and then she tried her first name out with his last name the other day. I'm glad we already had the no kissing talk with her.
Then I heard the song "Slipping through my fingers" from the Mama Mia soundtrack the other day and well, it touched me.
It says,
" Schoolbag in hand
She leaves home in the early morning
Waving goodbye
With an absent-minded smile
I watch her go
With a surge of that well-known sadness
And I have to sit down for a while
The feeling that I'm loosing her forever
And without really entering her world
I'm glad whenever I can share her laughter
That funny little girl

Slipping through my fingers all the time
I try to capture every minute
The feeling in it
Slipping through my fingers all the time
Do I really see what's in her mind
Each time I think I'm close to knowing
She keeps on growing
Slipping through my fingers all the time."

My mother-in-law always says that now is the time to enjoy your life, that it will never be more exciting, happy or fun as when your children are growing up. I'm trying to do that, but I have to admit, although I'm not thrilled about looking older, it sure is fun and exciting to watch my kids grow up.

7 comments:

LAURA said...

That's awesome that Lizzie is loving kindergarten, it really makes it easier on the mom when they like it! And I didn't know we were the same age, I turn 30 in two months!

Amanda said...

Cute, What do we get to do now we are 30? 16 you can drive, 18 you can vote, 21 you can drink, 30 is the next big mile stone, what do we get to do then?

MARY IN SCOTLAND said...

I'm so excited for your birthday! 30 woo hoo! I'm rightr behind you...give me 16 months and I'll be 30 to!

I love that Lizzy loves school. We knew she would, she is so social!
I wish I could be there to see you on your B-day!

Anonymous said...

That was such a nice post about Lizzy and school Becca...Last year was when I was 30 and Rhianna was in Kindergarten - and it was one of the nicest, happiest, most fulfilling years I have had. So I hope being 30 can be a great year for you too.

2MyGirls said...

Happy Birthday Becca! I just turned 32, but I remember feeling similar to how you feel when I turned 30. I kind of went through a mourning over the passing of my 20's. You have such a positive attitude. Enjoy this time when your kids are young.

MarySue said...

Comment from an old gal...you look fabulous. Don't give any number a second thought. I'll double your age in a couple of months!! I also commented on your Twilight post. I read all 4 books while in Oregon!!!! Fun.

Nicole said...

Happy Birthday Becca! The big 30, I'm sure it will be a good one!! Sounds like Lizzie is doing great in Kindergarten, Carter just started on Tues. and absolutely loves it, he's such a social butterfly.